Earlier this year, while driving down Kenilworth Main Road, I came across a quaint little second-hand shop selling vintage items. They stock mostly clothing but what pulled me inside, apart from the cute bunting hanging on the outside, was the sign which read ‘décor and gifts’. The shop assistant greeted us and immediately announced their end-of-summer sale, but on that day, I was more interested in seeing what vintage decor they had. And there on one of the shelves at the back, was this charming little jug.
It was exactly what I was looking for, but I wanted to change the colour. And you know what? I could! I had been looking for one of these babies for a while, so I knew what the going price was. But even though this one was significantly cheaper, I still hesitated and walked out without it. But then I couldn’t stop thinking about it! You know how the story goes…
“Nothing haunts us like the things we didn’t buy”.
…so there I was a day later telling my husband I wanted to go back to this shop, and twenty-four hours later the jug was in my house. Score!
I absolutely love these type of jugs for decorating and will probably collect a few more in my lifetime, but a white one was where I wanted to start. Here’s what I did to transform it:
- Sandpaper (600 grit)
- White gloss-finish spray paint (Rustoleum Paint & Prime)
- A clean lint-free cloth
I had watched one or two YouTube videos on how to do this (yep, I take my DIY very seriously :)), and it pretty much went as simple as the videos had instructed.
I prepared my work area by covering with the newspaper and stuffed some of it inside the pitcher to protect paint from going inside. I used the sandpaper to give it a light buff in order to remove the rust and have a smoother surface. I then dampened a part of the cloth (an old t-shirt) with water and gave it a quick wipe, and wiped it down again with the rest of the dry cloth. Quick sticks, and I was ready to paint.
I held the can about 20-25cm away from the jug and sprayed lightly in short strokes. My first coat turned out really nicely – glossy and smooth. Apart from a little bit of paint running, I was impressed. It felt dry so I sanded-down the bumps from the runny paint and proceeded with my second coat. This time, the paint had a rough finish and even wrinkled in some spots. I freaked, but couldn’t do anything immediately as the paint was still wet, so I decided to leave it overnight, (which ended up being two weeks, hehe). And after some sanding-down and applying one more coat, this was the result…
It’s not store-bought perfect, but I’m pretty chuffed with it as a first experiment.
I haven’t quite figured out what caused the wrinkling and rough finish I had. I think it may have to do with how long I waited to apply my second coat, as well as the temperature and humidity at the time. Either way, my (faux) blooms are going to look so pretty in it! This one is a keeper.